Turning a dresser into a Vanity for the bathroom - Test Blog

Turning a dresser into a Vanity for the bathroom

I made over both vanities in the girls bathroom and our bathroom from dressers.  I will use the girls vanity as an example. I purchased the girls vanity as a dresser from Habitat from Humanity Restore for $45.  

The girls bathroom vanity -

It started out as an over painted white dresser.  It had great bones but it had lots of layers of paint.  I can't remember but there were so many different colors as I started to sand down.  




I even had to end up using a stripping agent which if I can avoid I do.  I also had to take the back piece off you see in the picture below. It wouldn't work with the sink we had picked out.


I knew I wanted to have a design on on the front.  I had decided on doing a reverse stencil.  How I did this was using my Silhouette stencil cutter.  I cut out my design on vinyl sticky and was set to go.

Next I added the little floral corner design pieces (accent angles) that I picked up from Home Depot.  I just used wood glue to adhere them.

I started the painting process. I started with the drawers first.  I used a color called Saddle Tan from Benjamin Moore to paint the area where the wording would be going.  

I painted a small area on the drawers where I wanted the wording to be.  




I then painted the rest of the dresser using an antique white color all over the dresser itself, and also on the remaining area of the drawers.

Once the saddle tan was completely dry I placed my letters on the area and painted over the letters and the remaining part of the saddle tan with the antique white.  

I let everything dry completely.  Using my little tool that looks like a scalpel knife I peeled off the vinyl letters...



Prior to completely finishing the work on the vanity our carpenter did the cut out work for the plumbing and the sink.  By the way, we used a carpenter because we were in the middle of building our home.  Wayne Cooper is an amazing carpenter that did all of our trim work.  He also was doing work during our home renovations prior to the fire.

Let me say that his carpenter skills are by far some of the best I've ever seen!  We had some challenging corners with the crown molding and he blew me away with how precise he is!!  

This is how he achieved cutting out the sink. They came with a template that he taped down and cut accordingly. He used a jig saw with a reverse tooth blade. It is a blade that cuts on the down stroke instead of the up. This helps to keep the top from chipping. If you get one of these just make sure when you are cutting that you keep a decent down pressure on the saw because it tends to want to jump up. A jig saw with a roller guide also helps to keep the blade straight.

He also cut out the back for the plumbing using the jig saw.  



Lucky for me... I had the opportunity (and still do) to be taught to use power tools and such by some pretty amazing professionals that have been in the business for many years.  I feel blessed that they don't mind taking the time to teach me.

Now I was able to go on and finish the vanity.  

**We only did the above step because we were ready to make the cuts and set the vanities for trim cuts.  You can finish the vanities prior to doing the cuts.  I will say from doing both bathrooms, I'd make the cuts prior to completely finishing the painting process, especially the sink cut.  This helps so if there are any chips or if something happens to your finish you don't have to go back and do touch-ups.  

After the cuts were made, I lightly sanded the vanity down to achieve a smooth surface.  

I then used a metallic glaze from Home Depot by Martha Stewart called Muscavado more of it all over the dresser itself and less on the drawers.  I used a little dark brown stain on any spots I wanted to add a little depth to (i.e. corners, inside and around the accent angles).  I used a clear wax and buffed.  Once it was all done and ready to go, I used lacquer to seal the top and to ensure that water would just wipe off without creating any damage. 

I let the vanity cure for a couple of days before we put it into the bathroom and set the sink.  I added some brown colored glass antique look knobs that I found at Hobby Lobby.

Once we had the vanity in place, we set the sink and called in the plumber.  






The colors look a little different due to the lighting in their bathroom.  But I will say it looks HOT!!  

Total cost for me to do this was - Benjamin Moore Saddle Tan...already had since it was a sample from picking wall colors (I didn't even use 1/4 of the jar).
Antique white paint already had
Glaze - Already had but the cost was $5.48 used less than half a jar so say $2.75
Brown Stain already had
Clear Wax already had - used very little
Lacquer already had - used very little
Vinyl letters - I already had the vinyl
Angle accents - on clearance at Home Depot and I believe they were $2.00 for a set of 2 = $4.00
Glass knobs - 6 * $1.50 = $9.00
Sink (purchased from build.com) had a discount - $95.00


From a $45 dollar dresser with about $110.75 of products = $155.75 and a little time to a beautiful vanity.  


49 comments

  1. On the run but had to give you a quick WOW!! Shared on my FHC fb page. It's gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, girlie!! This is totally awesome!!! Love the color and that sink is wonderful!!! Great job!!~~Ang

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful look!!

    Cheryl @ The Creative Me and My McG

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make it look so easy!! You did a wonderful job!! Now make me one, pretty please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so awesome Lynn! I've always wanted to try that! I hope you come share at the party tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I will be joining the party tomorrow..thanks for the invite. As always it is one of my favorite parties to attend!!

      Delete
  6. Love this dresser. I now follow your blog.

    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lynn, I love what you did with the dresser! Looks amazing! I have a similar project I will be completing soon....love unique vanities :)

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lezlie. Me too I love vanities that are different. It was so much fun doing these for our home.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful repurpose. I have always wanted to do something similar with our bathrooms. I can handle finishing the furniture piece, but my husband and I are not carpenters, so we couldn't do the rest. So, we keep putting it off. Love your project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you Ann :) I feel truly blessed to have my husband that can do handy stuff for me & people around that can either do it or teach me to do it. Do you know a carpenter or have a local one that would do the cuts for you? It'd be super fun to be able to this for yourself..

      Delete
  9. This is absolutely fabulous. I love it. Your refinishing design for the dresser is just the cutest. I really like the large rectangular sink you chose too. I think it is really special and unique. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me Tuesday party that is ongoing. http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/07/173rd-inspire-me-tuesday.html
    Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marty. That sink had me the moment I saw it. I will stop over and link up.

      Delete
  10. that looks absolutely amazing, I so want to do that in my home but I haven't found the right dresser yet - when I do, I will pop back here for your great tutorial, thanks!

    ps. I found you via Lilyfield Life Paint Parade :)

    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen thank you for stopping by. I'd love to see what you do. It really is a super simple way to bring in a unique item to your home.

      Delete
  11. Amazing makeover and the saying on the dresser is perfect. You've got talent! I enjoyed peeking at your home and especially love your pantry door. Wow! Thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing more from you. Blessings, Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Patti. It has been so much fun to do so many unique things for the home.

      Delete
  12. That turned out very country. I loved it look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I look forward to showing more :) It's so much fun to bring new life to old things!!

      Delete
  13. This looks great! Nice work.
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  14. So fabulous! I love the color and stenciling.
    Thanks so much for sharing, it's amazing!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi Lynn, I love a dresser-turned-vanity! much better than those horrid modern vanities. I love how you have embellished this. Just so gorgeous. I also have a French cabinet turned vanity in my bathroom and I just love it. Thanks for linking to my Paint Parade
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Fiona. I just couldn't ever find a vanity that I liked so I said..I am making them :)

      Delete
  16. Wow...this is a such a brilliant idea ! I love the combination of the dresser and the sink ! Came from give me a good Monday party !!

    Marlin

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is fabulous!! what a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for posting this! I do have one more question; how did you get the drawers to fit around the plumbing???? Would you mind emailing me a picture? Are the drawers at all serviceable?
    Thank you SO much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi J... Yes the drawers are serviceable. If you email me lfern74@gmail.com I will be happy to send you some pictures.

      Delete
  19. love your vanity and I would love to feature it, if that would be ok please let me know,
    lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://westfurniturerevival.blogspot.com/2013/08/revival-monday-123_12.html

      I posted the feature and you can see it here, thanks again,
      lauren

      Delete
  20. it DOES look hot!! I love the finish. such a great before and after, thanks for linking up to the party!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, I can't seem to get my email to go through to you (I'm the one who requested the pictures of how cut the drawer for the plumbing, and to see if/how they are still usable). So I'm hoping you'll just email them to me at janae_Elizabeth@hotmail.com. Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Form Denver antique bathroom vanities, you can enhance the beauty of your bathroom. In the bathroom showroom of my friend, John has various types of antique bathroom vanities are available.

    ReplyDelete
  23. dreamline shower door
    :-very nice information, we are glad to read this news or post,

    ReplyDelete
  24. dreamline shower door
    :-very nice information, we are glad to read this news or post,

    ReplyDelete
  25. Its really a great information shared, which is informative and knowledgeable.

    Prodigg Signatures

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks, to share this article with us. This blog so pictured and attractive towards bathroom vanities and as well as looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love it! I'm going to use my old dry sink as a new sink, I think. And I'm the 50th comment, so you probably won't see this.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top