Lynn's Homemade Salsa - Test Blog

Lynn's Homemade Salsa

The time has come....

...to spill the recipe.

Long ago...  Well I am not that old...so not that long ago yet b.c. (before children) I sold my homemade jarred salsa.


I worked in the finance industry and those that I worked with loved my salsa that I had brought in for pot lucks.
Source

If you didn't know, I grew up in Texas around the some of the best cooks that made homemade tamales, tortillas, hot sauce (as we called it, but up here it is salsa), enchiladas, oh you get the idea....

However, this recipe was my own way before those days...  And, as it goes, those that I worked with asked me if I'd make it and sell to them.  Now I don't sell it anymore...  I just enjoy making it for all to fill their bellies at parties, giving as gifts at holidays, etc.

Today I give you the gift of what goes into a jar from my kitchen....


Lynn's Homemade Salsa

My Ingredients

2 cans Rotel (original)

2 large cans Hunt's Whole Peeled Tomato (it's the brand I like)

 2 - 4 Jalapenos

Onion (I like red)

Cilantro

Limes

2 - Garlic cloves

Salt

Pepper

Cumin

Preparation:

  • Open rotel & tomatoes and put in a colander to drain juice (a trick to remove extra juice is to add salt to drain as much as possible)


  • Put jalapenos in a bowl fill with water in which the peppers will be covered, microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes
You can't really see it in this picture, but the peppers were so BIG!

  • Put jalapenos, 1/4 onion (not too much onion or it becomes acidy), garlic gloves, cilantro to taste (I like a lot), squeeze 1 full lime into the blender and blend until all is minced

  • Add the drained tomatoes and rotel in the blender along with 1/4 teaspoon cumin and the salt & pepper to taste.  

  • Blend until tomato mixture is the consistency of your choice.  We like ours chunky!




To note:

We like ours with a kick, and there's no way to know for sure the heat index of your jalapenos.  You can do a couple of things to take the heat level down.  You can add bell pepper of you choice or add more tomatoes.  I take several scoops of the mixture and blend it with whatever it is you choose (bell peppers or tomatoes).  And, then mix it all together in a bowl.  And, if you want it hotter...just do the same thing with extra jalapenos!

Also, if you choose to have yours on the less chunky side, you don't have to drain the tomatoes/rotel.  

If you make this recipe, I'd love to hear how you liked it!

I hope you enjoy!! 

Much love, peace & happiness
~Lynn



5 comments

  1. I love homemade salsa. I shall be pinning this and trying it later. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips about the jalapenos I am going to try that! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe with us.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I wasn't a wimp and I also wish my husband liked tomatoes and onions. One of these days I'll be making a yummy and mild salsa just for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should make a mild one for yourself...it's a good yummy snack!! Plus you'd get it all to yourself :)

      Delete

Back to Top