Reminiscing - Test Blog

Reminiscing

Over the weekend I was clearing out & cleaning up a few things.  I had a stack of old pictures that was given to me by my parents.

I found some great lil pictures of when I was a wee little one....  I will save you or me...from having to view them :)

But what I found was something that meant so very much to me.  See my grandmother (my daddy's mom) I was named after her...  Her middle name was Ella and that is my middle name.  As a child, well I hated my middle name.  

Was it because when I heard it meant I was in trouble?  Nah... I was a pretty good kid.  I just didn't like it...it felt old to me.  

Over time I began to love the name.  Some of my favorite quotes come from none other than the Ella Fitzgerald herself -

"It isn't where you came from, it's where you're going that counts." 

"Just don't give up trying to do what you really want to do. Where there is love and inspiration, I don't think you can go wrong."

And, so when my second daughter was known she was a girl, I wanted her to have the name Ella.  She has many of my mannerisms and as a child we have a very similar look.    

But, this isn't about her or I.  This is about my Grandma.  The Grandma that was so very kind, gentle, loving, and was a comfort to so many.  

She was amazing.  Her heart was always true.  I remember a story of when we went to visit her in the nursing home and we took her some cut up strawberries (she loved strawberries), she took a big ole bit and gave us a look I will never forget.  The strawberries were so very tart.  And, then she let out a laugh...a cute belly laugh I will forever remember.

Grandma loved to write and draw.  She was good.  She was creative.

I came across a few of her poems & birthday cards she had made.  She made all of her birthday cards until she couldn't anymore!  

I felt her with me as I was reading through.  



I had my cards she had made me, but then there was a night that stole them from me.  But, I am thankful that my daddy gave me the ones she made.  



Some things...small things in life sometimes makes me the happiest.  

It felt good to read through some of her poems and look at what made her happy!  I miss her, but most importantly I know she is with me.  

It was her that called me Lynn Ella every single time AND it was then and only then as a child that I loved my middle name!  

~Lynn

3 comments

  1. I am glad you were able to keep your memories and your dad was able to "give" you some more. My parents lost most of their memories in their fire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how amazing that you have both written words and illustrations that she did...you have got me thinking of my own grandmothers today - thanks!

    Cheryl @ The Creative Me and My McG

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top